Simferopol Airport opens new terminal

Simferopol Airport opens new terminal The annual capacity of Simferopol airport has now increased to 6.5 million passengers (Simferopol Airport)

The new passenger terminal at Simferopol airport in Crimea was officially launched on April 16.  The airport reports that the old terminal is now out of service, and all flights are handled in the new facility. The first airline to test the new terminal was Russia’s NordWind, which has the widest route network from Simferopol, featuring 27 destinations across Russia. The airport’s total network in the summer season includes 67 destinations.

The terminal is an example of a state-private partnership – 30% of the financing was raised by private investors, and the remaining 70% was allocated by the banks based in Crimea. The administration of the peninsula received 49% of the airport’s shares, and a pool of investors shares the remaining 51%. The local company Acons Pro was the general contractor for the construction project.

Construction of the new terminal with 78,000 sqm of floor area required an investment of 32 billion rubles (about $520 million) and lasted 22 months. Its capacity is 3,650 passengers per hour and 6.5 million passengers per year. For comparison, in 2017 Simferopol served 5.1 million passengers.

The new terminal is equipped with 55 check-in counters, eight jetways and eight exits to apron buses. The building is run by automated management system and technologies which enable travelers to pass all pre-flight stages themselves, including electronic boarding passes. The Russian authorities granted approval for the operation of the terminal on April 12 this year.

As part of the airport upgrade project, the runway will be resurfaced and extended from 2,700 m to 3,200 m. After its reconstruction, there will be two runways operational at the airport.

In 2017 Simferopol ranked seventh in the rating of Russia’s largest airports. Its traffic decreased 1.4% year-on-year. But in the first three months of 2018 the traffic climbed back 7% compared to the same period last year reaching 603,400 passengers.

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Russian Aviation Insider
Newsletter
Powered by Air Transport Observer, Russia & CIS’ premier information provider on commercial aviation with a 20-year legacy, Russian Aviation Insider provides you with timely and reliable business news, insights and analysis on commercial aviation all around CIS.
Sign up for our free Newsletter and never miss:
  • Airline Business news and analysis
  • Aerospace Industry updates
  • Traffic statistic data and trends
  • Airport, MRO, Leasing and other related businesses
  • Appointments and promotions

Get relevant data from reliable industry sources!

Leave a comment