Aurora to significantly expand its Twin Otter fleet

Aeroflot’s Far Eastern subsidiary currently operates two DHC-6 Series 400 Twin Otters Aeroflot’s Far Eastern subsidiary currently operates two DHC-6 Series 400 Twin Otters (Photo by Aurora Airlines)

Aurora Airlines, a Russian regional carrier from Russia’s Far East, will expand its fleet of DHC-6 Series 400 small regional turboprops to 32 aircraft, according to an announcement by the Far East Development Fund. The organization will co-finance the purchase. Aurora’s fleet growth is part of the plan to improve the passenger transportation network in the region.

The entire investment is estimated at around 23 billion rubles ($380 million), and the project has already received approval by the regional administration. The FEDF may contrinute up to 6.4 billion rubles. 51% of Aurora’s shares owned by Aeroflot Group, the remaining 49% — by the administration of Russia’s Sakhalin Region.

Aurora currently operates two 19-seat DHC-6 Series 400 Twin Otters, both purchased by the administration of Primorye Territory. In September this year a LOI for two additional aircraft was signed.

Apart from the Twin Otters Aurora operates more spacious Bombardier Q200/Q300/Q400 turboprops, as well as Airbus A319s, overall two dozen aircraft. The carrier operates both international and domestic routes, some of which are designated “socially important,” meaning they may not be commercially viable, but there is no other means of transportation between the destinations.

  • 40
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Russian Aviation Insider
Newsletter
Powered by Air Transport Observer, Russia & CIS’ premier information provider on commercial aviation with a 20-year legacy, Russian Aviation Insider provides you with timely and reliable business news, insights and analysis on commercial aviation all around CIS.
Sign up for our free Newsletter and never miss:
  • Airline Business news and analysis
  • Aerospace Industry updates
  • Traffic statistic data and trends
  • Airport, MRO, Leasing and other related businesses
  • Appointments and promotions

Get relevant data from reliable industry sources!

Leave a comment